In the past few days, there has once again been a great deal of unrest in and around Jerusalem. On Sunday 9 October, the Israeli army blocked access to parts of Jerusalem, including Anata and the Shuafat refugee camp. This was in response to the death of a female Israeli soldier after a shooting incident at the checkpoint on the road to Shuafat. Two other Israeli guards were also wounded.
The blockade meant that the Palestinian residents (about 130,000 in number) were unable to leave the area. Even ambulances or people who had to pay urgent visits to the hospital were not allowed through. Education has been suspended in East Jerusalem and shops are facing the threat of a shortage of food. On the Sunday night, various houses were searched and the relatives of suspects arrested. Local residents are now holding demonstrations, which are being violently supressed.
Silwan, another district in East Jerusalem, also experienced violence when a colonist shot with a gun, causing widespread panic among residents.
No access to the al-Aqsa mosque
In addition, thousands of Palestinians aged under forty have been detained at the access to the al-Aqsa mosque. In contrast, hundreds of Israeli colonists were allowed to enter the holy place during the Jewish feast of Sukkot. These colonists proceeded to perform rituals and prayers and walk around provocatively, causing the situation to escalate further still.
This place will never be truly calm unless there is an end to the violations of human rights and international law.
The situation in Jerusalem
If you would like to know more about the situation in Jerusalem, watch this explanatory video.
PAX in Israel and Palestine
PAX has been working in Israel and Palestine since the late 1990s. Find out here what we do.
Read more about the recent violence
- Clashes Erupt Across East Jerusalem, Two Israeli Cops Wounded
- Life in Shoafat Refugee Camp Stopped After Saturday’s Shooting – and Hasn’t Resumed
- Palestine: Jerusalem refugee camp under siege as Israel hunts shooter
- IOF Continue to Blockade Shufat, Anata in Occupied Jerusalem
- Palestinians hit hard by Israel’s ‘collective punishment’ over Jerusalem violence
- Israel settler fires live ammunition on Palestinians in East Jerusalem
- Al-Jarmaq News on Twitter
- Major raids into Al-Aqsa and the Occupation prevents worshipers from entering