The Lundin trial begins

September 4, 2023

On Tuesday 5 September, the Lundin war crimes trial opens at the Stockholm District Court. The Swedish prosecution will present th case against Ian Lundin, Alex Schneiter and Orrön Energy, the new name for Lundin Energy. Six prosecutors from Sweden’s National Unit Against Organized Crime are in charge of the prosecution. Their presentation of the case will continue until November 8th. The Lundin trial will continue for approximately two and a half years and conclude in early 2026.

The maximum punishment for the crime is life imprisonment, but the prosecution is expected to request a lower punishment. The prosecution has also requested the court to forfeit €201 million in criminal benefits from Orrön/Lundin, the entire profit that the company made in Sudan plus interest. This way, he makes it clear that not only the two executives, but that the company itself and its shareholders all share the blame.

Recognition, truth, and remedy.

The trial will be keenly followed by the tens of thousands of survivors of the oil war that Lundin stands accused of having caused and contributed to. They hope for recognition, the truth, and remedy. Unfortunately, Lundin’s shareholders have isolated their assets from the case by splitting the company, 98% has now merged with AkerBP and the remaining 2%, renamed Orrön Energy, has been designated to carry the full responsibility of the enormous Sudanese legacy. PAX believes that AkerBP and Lundin’s shareholder are jointly abusing company law to deny war crimes victims their rights.

Lundin War Crimes Trial Podcast

PAX and Global Idé have started a collaboration with Ugandan journalist Halima Athumani for a podcast series reporting on the trial. Together with Swedish journalist Kajsa Sörman, she will bring the latest news from the court and comments from experts and involved personalities. The Lundin War Crimes Trial can be found on the Unpaid Debt website, Spotify Apple Podcasts and in your favorite podcast player.

Further reading:

Get involved with our peace work.
Subscribe to the PAX Action Alert.