PAX, based in Utrecht, the Netherlands, is the leading Dutch peace-building & conflict-transformation NGO. We work for peace, reconciliation and justice in various conflict regions in the world, such as Sudan, South Sudan, Congo, Colombia, the Western Balkans and the Middle East. Our strategies are based on a twin-track approach, in close cooperation with our local partners: on the one hand we promote and facilitate civil-society driven dialogue and peace-building initiatives and on the other we seek to maximize an enabling environment for these through public campaigning and political lobby. Human security and human dignity are core values. A third objective is to mobilise the Dutch public for global peace-building.
In Africa, PAX is active in Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and in the Sahel region.
For our Sudan Programme, PAX is looking to recruit a:
Senior Project Officer Sudan (0,8 FTE)
The project officer is based at the PAX headquarters in Utrecht. The officer reports to the project leads Sudan and ultimately to the team coordinator Africa.
Main activities and responsibilities
- Program support for several peacebuilding programs dealing with topics such as gender, peace & security, civic space & non-violent civic action, and transitional justice;
- Technical and operational oversight and management support;
- Partner management, coaching, support and capacity building on financial and narrative reporting;
- Coordination of contacts with local and international partners for program implementation;
- Technical program development & fundraising support
- Planning and organisation of logistics of field visits, workshops, conferences and seminars
- Information management, taking minutes of meetings, administrative tasks, ensuring following up on internal and external information requests from the wider organisation, proper data management, etc.
- Support of implementation of advocacy efforts through desk studies, contribution to written public messaging (website articles etc)
- Academic degree (MA), preferably in a relevant field such as Conflict studies, Middle Eastern studies, International relations, Politics or Law;
- Project management skills, including at least 3 years relevant professional experience on conflict related programming a local or international non-profit organisation;
- Knowledge of and experience with conflict transformation and peace-building programming;
- Knowledge of and experience with programs on one of the above mentioned themes (gender, peace and security/civic space & civic action/transitional justice) will be strong advantage;
- Up-to-date and deep knowledge of the situation in Sudan; knowledge of current political and conflict resolution processes in the region is an asset;
- Able to work responsibly under pressure; able to work individually as well as in a team;
- Fluency in English, including excellent writing skills; and (at least) working knowledge of Arabic;
- Fluency in Modern Standard Arabic and/or Sudanese Arabic,
- Working knowledge of Dutch is preferred;
- Good communication and analytical skills;
- Able to adapt quickly to changing circumstances; inventive and assertive attitude;
- Capacity and willingness to travel to Sudan and the wider Northeast African region;
- Affinity with the work and mission of PAX;
- Eligible to work in the EU
- A position in an international working environment with committed and enthusiastic colleagues;
- Place of employment: Utrecht, The Netherlands. For the time being, remote working is required (until travel/relocation is again permitted and possible);
- One year contract for 28,8 hours per week (0,8 fte) with option for renewal, depending on project funding
- Start date: as soon as possible;
- Salary scale 9 according to PKN terms and conditions of employment; depending on experience
min. € 2.586,36 – max. € 3.759,48 gross (for a fulltime position of 36 hours per week);
- 8.3% year-end bonus
- 8% holiday-allowance;
- Full reimbursement of home-to-work travel costs, public transport 2nd class.
Application and information
Interested candidates matching the profile and requirements are requested to send their CV (max 2 pages) and a motivation letter (max 1 page) in English addressed Mrs. Thirsa de Vries (Team coordinator team Africa) only by filling in the application form on the bottom of this page.
Closing date for applications to this position is Sunday 2 May 2021.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position.
Acquisition in response to this advertisement is not appreciated.
Apply for this vacancy
Response date has passed as of 02 mei 2021.