PAX means peace. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned civilians worldwide, PAX works to build dignified, and peaceful societies across the globe.
In Africa, PAX is active in Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), and in the Sahel region. PAX is looking to recruit an experienced Project Officer for the DR Congo program.
Senior Project Officer DR Congo (1,0 FTE)
The position is available for 1,0 FTE, based on a 36 hour working week. The Senior Project Officer (Senior Project Medewerker) will stay at HQ (Utrecht) and travel very regularly to the field, for longer periods of time (to the North Eastern provinces of Tshopo, Bas-Uele and Haut-Uele and Kinshasa). The Senior Project Officer will work closely together with the Project Lead for the DR Congo, who is based in Utrecht but also travels regularly to the DR Congo.
PAX is a political peace building organization and is looking for a highly motivated colleague who is committed to work on sustainable peace and structural political change. The ideal candidate for this role has some years of experience with peace building, political change, lobby and advocacy, and project management. The person is a real team player and willing to learn from the Project Lead. Furthermore, this person is service oriented.
The candidate will provide support to DR Congo program on content, analyses, lobby and advocacy and will specifically
- follow relevant political and socioeconomic developments and current affairs and academic studies;
- actively support the project leader with the elaboration of project proposals and funding requests;
- carry out – in coordination with the project leader - research for new projects, lobby and advocacy documents;
- support the project leader with the elaboration of reports, lobby and advocacy notes, and other relevant analytic documents;
- actively participate in lobby and advocacy activities;
- manage the logistic and organizational aspects of conferences, missions, field trips meetings.
- take jointly care of the communication to partner organizations, donors and the constituency.
The candidate will work on project cycle management and organization of several peace building projects, and will specifically:
- take care, in coordination with the project leader, of the management and planning of the projects, including the budget management;
- identify bottlenecks in the project management and contribute actively to the solutions;
- carry out project activities independently, under the responsibility of the project leader;
- take care of the planning of the activities and implementation of the interventions and coordinate the work of the team and the partner organizations.
- Academic degree (MA), preferably in a relevant field such as Conflict studies, International relations, Politics or Law;
- At least three years relevant professional experience in the transformation of conflict dynamics at several levels;
- Fluency in French, Dutch and English are required. The knowledge of French should be excellent, both passively and actively.
- Up-to-date and deep knowledge of the situation in the DR Congo;
- Project management skills;
- Knowledge of and experience with lobby and advocacy on peacebuilding topics;
- Able to work responsibly under pressure; able to work individually as well as in a team
- Cultural sensitivity; open and tolerant attitude towards others;
- Good communication and analytical skills;
- Willingness to travel to the DR Congo on a regular basis for longer period of time. This does occasionally include a stay in Congo for several months.
- Eligibility to work in the EU
- Affinity with the work and mission of PAX
- A position in a dynamic and highly international working environment with committed and enthusiastic colleagues;
- An organization with budget and opportunities for personal development;
- Place of employment: Utrecht, The Netherlands. For the time being, remote working is required (until travel/relocation is again permitted and possible);
- Appointment for 36 hours per week (1 fte);
- Starting: as soon as possible;
- Pay scale 9 according to PKN terms and conditions of employment; depending on experience min. € 2.586,36 – max. € 3.759,48 gross (for a fulltime position of 36 hours per week);
- 8.3% year-end bonus and 8% holiday-allowance.
- Full reimbursement of home-to-work travel costs, public transport 2nd class.
Procedure and information
Interested candidates matching the profile and requirements are requested to send their CV and a motivation letter (1 page) in English addressed to Thirsa de Vries, ) only via application form on the bottom of this page.
Closing date for reactions to this vacancy announcement is Sunday 13 June 2021.
Interviews will be as soon as possible after the closing date, preferably in the week after the closing date.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position.
Acquisition in response to this advertisement is not appreciated.
Apply for this vacancy
Response date has passed as of 13 juni 2021.