PAX means peace. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned civilians worldwide, PAX works to build dignified, and peaceful societies across the globe.
The protection of civilians in armed conflict is a widely shared objective, but effective ways to organize protection are few and far apart in today’s violent conflicts. PAX aims to amplify the voices and capacities of civilians in conflict to improve the effectiveness of Protection of Civilians (PoC) actors and increase the security of local communities.
This position is based within the PoC Team at PAX. The PoC group’s main activities include: survey research and advocacy in South Sudan and Iraq; training of and networking with PoC actors internationally; and defense and security policy research and lobby for inclusion of people-centered PoC policy at the UN, EU and NATO. We work with local partners, likeminded international organizations, military and diplomatic actors, researchers, politicians and policy makers (see www.protectionofcivilians.org for more information).
To assist in the data analysis of our human security survey research, we are looking for a:
Project Officer in the field of
Human Security Survey & Data Analytics
Responsibilities and tasks
The Project Officer (PO) contributes to a key initiative of the PoC department: the Human Security Survey (HSS). The HSS combines research, advocacy and community engagement efforts to amplify the voice of civilians and to improve the provision of security in situations of conflict. The HSS is currently being implemented in Iraq and South Sudan and may be extended to new contexts in the future. The PO will facilitate data collection and will primarily undertake data analysis, reporting and presentation. The PO will also contribute to administrative, financial and project management support. This position reports to and is managed by the Project Leads HSS Iraq and South Sudan. The PO will:
- Script questionnaires in XLSForm and Kobo Toolbox;
- Conduct data cleaning and quantitative analysis using STATA and R;
- Contribute to the presentation of survey findings via written reports, infographics, an online dashboard (using Microsoft PowerBI), in-person presentations and advocacy meetings;
- Assist in organizing and implementing trainings for data collection teams in field locations;
- Contribute to community engagement activities in field locations;
- Participate in integrating revisions to the HSS instrument and research methodology;
- Monitor key resources (e.g. peer organizations, research institutions, publications) for developments in the areas of survey implementation, mobile data collection, data analysis and presentation of research results;
- Contribute, as needed, to project planning, monitoring and evaluation; project and program events, other programmatic research initiatives, budget tracking and fundraising.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a quantitative data specialist experienced with high turnover of data and pressing deadlines. Our ideal candidate is a team player capable of working both collaboratively and independently. You should also be flexible and capable of working under stress, willing and able to travel (including to conflict contexts) and have a hands-on mentality with a sense of humor.
What we ask
- MA degree in a relevant discipline such as statistics, development economics, human geography, conflict studies, etc. BA degrees may apply if combined with substantial professional experience;
- Proven track record in quantitative and survey-based research and proficiency with quantitative data analysis and presentation programs (e.g. STATA, R, ArcGIS, Tableau, Excel, PowerBI);
- Substantial experience with structuring do-files, data cleaning and data analysis in STATA and R;
- Previous experience with KoboCollect/KoboToolbox is a plus;
- Up-to-date knowledge on developments in survey technologies and data analysis tools, as well as data security;
- Knowledge and/or experience using SSH keys, Java, PostgreSQL, PM2, NGINX, ChitChat, SSL certificates, SALT/hashed passwords will be an asset, but not a necessity/ requirement;
- Ideally, experience in the fields of conflict, governance and security programming;
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills, proven in inter-cultural contexts;
- Excellent command of English and preferably Dutch; Arabic and/or French would be assets;
- Willingness to travel to conflict areas (including outside of capital cities);
- In case of non-Dutch candidates, an existing, valid work permit for the European Union is required;
- Affinity with the core values and traditions of PAX.
What we offer
- A dynamic position in a high-paced, informal and international working environment in a committed and fun team;
- Place of employment: Utrecht with regular international travel;
- Start date as soon as possible but ideally August 2022;
- Appointment for 36 hours per week (1,0 fte), initially for 12 months, with possible extension;
- Depending on prior experience either salary scale 8 (Project Officer) or 9 (Senior Project Officer) according to PKN terms and conditions of employment (scale 8 depending on experience min. of € 2.438,06 to a max. of € 3.351,14 gross for 36 hours per week; scale 9 depending on experience min. of € 2.638,09 to a max. of € 3.834,67 gross for 36 hours per week);
- End-of-year bonus of 8.3% and 8.0 % holiday allowance;
- Full reimbursement of home-to-work travel costs.
Information and application
More information about PAX and its work can be found through www.paxforpeace.nl.
Visit our website for further information on our team www.protectionofcivilians.org.
Interested candidates matching the profile and requirements are requested to send their CV (max 2 pages) and a motivation letter (max 1 page) in English addressed to Anton Quist, Project Lead HSS, solely by using the application form at the bottom of our vacancy-website.
Closing date for applications to this position is the 24th of July.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position.
Acquisition in response to this advertisement is not appreciated.
Apply for this vacancy
Response date has passed as of 24 juli 2022.