PAX means peace. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned citizens worldwide, PAX works to build just and peaceful societies across the globe.
PAX is a peacebuilding organization which works with partners around the world on programs and advocacy related to sustainable peace, refugee policy, and the protection and rights of people affected by conflict.
PAX’s EU Office works with our program teams and local partners to influence the policies of the EU and its member states. We develop advocacy and campaigning strategies, produce reports and analysis, and hold meetings, events and other activities. We also regularly coordinate meetings between local civil society partners and EU policymakers, to help ensure that the expertise and perspectives of civil society and people affected by conflict are better incorporated into EU policy.
The EU Office of PAX for Peace in Brussels is looking for a motivated
EU Advocacy Trainee
The trainee will get the chance to work closely on the EU advocacy of a leading international peacebuilding organization; learn how influencing governments and institutions works; and learn more about peacebuilding and human rights issues. The trainee will get insight into EU advocacy on a wide range of topics, including refugee protection in Syria, European security policy, support for local civil society in Syria, protection of civilians, among others.
We are looking for someone who is interested in conflict, peacebuilding or human rights, interested in working in an international environment.
Tasks can include but are not limited to
- Monitoring EU policy and political developments relevant to the work of PAX through desk research and producing updates for the organization on developments in Brussels;
- Assisting with organizing meetings and events;
- Assisting with hosting country teams and local partners when they visit Brussels: organizing travel logistics; preparing them for meetings with EU policymakers;
- Coordinating PAX’s EU Advocacy Calendar, and keeping an overview of reports and other upcoming advocacy activities;
- Assisting with the distribution of reports and advocacy briefings;
- Taking notes in meetings with internal colleagues and external meetings;
- Media and social media monitoring;
- Updating and maintaining contacts lists and the contacts database;
- Creating content for social media;
- Assisting with logging, monitoring, and evaluation of EU advocacy activities;
- Ad-hoc translation, depending on language skills.
We are looking for
- Interest in conflict, peacebuilding or human rights policy: gained from studying, personal interest, or personal experience;
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities;
- Ability to handle competing tasks and deadlines;
- Interest in advocacy and campaigning: interest in how NGOs can make change happen;
- Strong organizational skills; a methodical approach to tasks, and attention to detail;
- Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills;
- Good political awareness and political judgement;
- Ability to organize meetings well and to host colleagues and partners in Brussels;
- Very good level of spoken and written English;
- Interest in working in an international environment with people of many nationalities;
- Commitment to working in a way that promotes the work of local NGOs and smaller grassroots organizations;
- Commitment to working with integrity, and in a way which is anti-racist and feminist;
- Eligibility to work in the European Union. Unfortunately, PAX cannot sponsor visas.
- An interest in working in EU affairs;
- Good level of other international languages (Russian and/or Ukrainian would be a particular asset).
- Internship contract for 10 months at €1.000,– Convention d’Immersion Professionelle;
- Starting in September;
- Full-time contract at 36 hours a week;
- Based at the PAX office in Brussels;
- Occasional travel to PAX headquarters in Utrecht may be included.
Information and procedure
For more information about PAX, please visit www.paxforpeace.nl.
Interested candidates are requested to send their CV and cover letter addressed to Wael Abdulshafi, EU Advocacy Advisor, solely by using the application form at the bottom of our vacancy-website before the 15th of July 2022.
The interviews will take place in the last week of July 2022.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with the right skills and interest to apply for positions. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply for this position.